CARACAS, Venezuela — Frantic families of victims clashed with police and were still demanding answers on Thursday after a blaze ripped through a Venezuelan police detention center the day before, killing at least 68 in one of the nation’s worst ever prison disasters.
Details of the incident were still emerging, but late Wednesday, the country’s head prosecutor Tarek William Saab confirmed the death count in a tweet and said four investigators had been appointed to “clarify these dramatic events.”
“The chief prosecutor’s office guarantees that we will clear up immediately these painful incidents that have left dozens of families mourning, as well as establish the needed responsibilities,” Saab tweeted.
These statements came long after the fire erupted in the detention cells of the police station in Valencia town in Carabobo state, around 100 miles west of the capital, leaving families of the inmates frantic with worry over the fate of their loved ones.
“Yesterday, the conflict started early and continued through the day, but until it was impossible to keep hiding what was happening, the government didn’t give any information at all about it,” said Juan Miguel Matheus, a local opposition lawmaker.